As devoted followers of God, we will face opposition and persecution won’t we? While praying for good health, safety and protection from harm and the evil one, we must be ready…for “whatever happens.”
What if the leader you look up to is no longer there for you? They die, move away, even fall away from the Lord? All of the above is possible and may have occurred in your life already.
What if what you believe in is opposed, or if you are harassed or terrorized for what or who you stand for?
Philippians 1:27 Whatever happens, conduct yourselves in a manner worthy of the gospel of Christ. Then, whether I come and see you or only hear about you in my absence, I will know that you stand firm in one spirit, contending as one man for the faith of the gospel
- “Whatever happens” – Whether or not Paul (those we look up to) gets out of prison or dies (to die is gain!), live well in representation of Jesus.
- Devotion to one another is standing firm in one spirit. Not being a lone ranger. Not being “in it for yourself.”
1:28 without being frightened in any way by those who oppose you. This is a sign to them that they will be destroyed, but that you will be saved — and that by God. 29 For it has been granted to you on behalf of Christ not only to believe on him, but also to suffer for him, 30 since you are going through the same struggle you saw I had, and now hear that I still have.
- There will be opposition but don’t be afraid of your opposers.
- A devoted life must be willing to suffer for Him.
- Follow the courage and display of the “Paul’s” in our lives – who are willing to abandon themselves for the sake of the Gospel of Jesus.