June 5, 2016
The Revelation of Jesus Christ
Revelation is an apocalyptic prophetic epistle written to encourage the whole community of faith to focus its faith and life on the triumph of a sovereign God’s reign which has now been disclosed through the exaltation of God’s Christ. [Understanding the Bible Series]
The revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave him to show to his servants the things that must soon take place. He made it known by sending his angel to his servant John, who bore witness to the word of God and to the testimony of Jesus Christ, even to all that he saw. Blessed is the one who reads aloud the words of this prophecy, and blessed are those who hear, and who keep what is written in it, for the time is near. Revelation 1:1-3 ESV
- He who testifies to these things says, “Surely I am coming soon.” Amen. Come, Lord Jesus! The grace of the Lord Jesus be with all. Amen. Revelation 22:20-21 ESV
- This is the disciple who is bearing witness about these things, and who has written these things, and we know that his testimony is true. Now there are also many other things that Jesus did. Were every one of them to be written, I suppose that the world itself could not contain the books that would be written. John 21:24-25 ESV
NOTES: BE CONSIDERATE
For many deceivers have gone out into the world, those who do not confess the coming of Jesus Christ in the flesh. Such a one is the deceiver and the antichrist. Watch yourselves, so that you may not lose what we have worked for, but may win a full reward. Everyone who goes on ahead and does not abide in the teaching of Christ, does not have God. Whoever abides inthe teaching has both the Father and the Son. 2 John 1:7-9 ESV
NOTES: BE CAUTIOUS
Grace to you and peace from him who is and who was and who is to come, and from the seven spirits who are before his throne, and from Jesus Christ the faithful witness, the firstborn of the dead, and the ruler of kings on earth. To him who loves us and has freed us from our sins by his blood and made us a kingdom, priests to his God and Father, to him be glory and dominion forever and ever. Amen. Revelation 1:4-6 ESV
NOTES: BE CONFIDENT
REVELATION REMINDS US THAT:
- God has the FINAL WORD
- Jesus is the FAITHFUL KING.
3. Christians don’t belong to this WORLD.
- God is SOVEREIGN over humanity.
- God’s Supreme Purpose includes SUFFERING.
- The Church wins UNTIL and IN the END!
- How to read the Bible for all it’s worth: Stuart and Fee
- How to read the Bible book by book: Stuart and Fee
- Grasping God’s Word: Duvall and Hays
- NIV Application Commentaries; (1) Daniel, (2) Revelation, (3) Ezekiel
- Dictionary of Biblical Prophecy and End Times: Scott and Duvall
- Handbook on the NT Use of the OT Exegesis and Interpretation: G.K. Beale
- Revelation: A Shorter Commentary, G. K. Beale and David Campbell